EoDB Grand Challenge
The Doing Business Ranking is an annual assessment conducted by the World Bank which measures aspects of regulation affecting 11 areas of the life of a business, evaluating 190 countries against each other on these indicators. The 11 indicators which are evaluated by the World Bank every year are:
- Starting a Business
- Dealing with Construction Permits
- Getting Electricity
- Registering Property
- Getting Credit
- Protecting Minority Interests
- Paying Taxes
- Trading across Borders
- Enforcing Contracts
- Resolving Insolvency
- Labour Market Regulation
From a user's perspective, Ease of Doing Business for an enitity signifies ease of getting a permission, license, registration or a service from a Government Agency. There are established processes within each Government Agency for issuing of such permissions or services.
This Grand Challenge seeks to invite innovative ideas from individuals, startups or other enterprises to implement AI, Big Data Analytics, Internet of Things (IOT), Blockchain and other cutting edge technologies for re-engineering related Government processes.
EoDB Highlights for India
- India has recorded a jump of 23 positions against its rank of 100 in 2017 to be placed now at 77th rank among 190 countries assessed by the World Bank.
- India has recorded the highest improvement in two years by any large country since 2011 in the Doing business assessment by improving its rank by 53 positions.
- India improved its rank in 6 out of 11 indicators and has moved closer to international best practices (Distance to Frontier score) on 7 out of the 11 indicators.
- In grant of construction permits, India's rank improved from 181 in 2017 to 52 in 2018, an improvement of 129 ranks in a single year.
- In Trading across Borders, India's rank improved by 66 positions moving from 146 in 2017 to 80 in 2018.
- The World Bank has recognized India as one of the top improvers for the year.
- This is the second consecutive year for which India has been recognized as one of the top improvers.